Trump Orders Hormuz Blockade After Iran Talks Fail

Washington: US President Donald Trump on Sunday announced a sweeping naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, accusing Iran of refusing to abandon its nuclear ambitions despite nearly 20 hours of talks mediated in Pakistan.
In a series of lengthy posts on Truth Social, Trump said negotiations āwent wellā and āmost points were agreed toā, but asserted that Tehran remained āunyielding as to the single most important issueā, adding: āIRAN IS UNWILLING TO GIVE UP ITS NUCLEAR AMBITIONS!ā
The US President added that he had been āfully debriefedā by Vice-President JD Vance, Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and Trumpās son-in-law Jared Kushner following the Islamabad meeting, which Trump said was facilitated by Pakistanās leadership.
He also accused Iran of reneging on assurances to keep the Strait of Hormuz open, saying the situation had caused āanxiety, dislocation, and pain to many people and Countries throughout the Worldā.
āThey say they put mines in the water,ā Trump wrote, adding that uncertainty over maritime safety had effectively deterred shipping.
āWhat ship owner would want to take the chance?ā
Declaring the situation āWORLD EXTORTIONā, Trump said the US would respond with immediate forceful measures.
āEffective immediately, the United States Navy⦠will begin the process of BLOCKADING any and all Ships trying to enter, or leave, the Strait of Hormuz,ā he added.
He said that US forces would āseek and interdict every vessel in International Waters that has paid a toll to Iranā, warning that āno one who pays an illegal toll will have safe passage on the high seasā.
Trump also added that US naval units would begin destroying mines allegedly laid by Iran in the strategic waterway, and issued a stark warning: āAny Iranian who fires at us, or at peaceful vessels, will be BLOWN TO HELL!ā
The US President said the blockade would continue until free navigation is restored, describing the current situation as a violation of international norms governing maritime trade routes.
At the same time, Trump acknowledged that āat some point, we will reach an āALL BEING ALLOWED TO GO IN, ALL BEING ALLOWED TO GO OUTā basisā, but blamed Iran for preventing such an outcome.
He also linked the escalation to broader tensions over Tehranās nuclear programme, reiterating a long-standing position: āIRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON!ā
The talks in Islamabad, which Trump said lasted āclose to 20 hoursā, involved senior Iranian representatives, including Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf, Abbas Araghchi and Ali Bagheri.
While describing interactions between delegations as āvery friendly and respectfulā, Trump stressed that the core dispute remained unresolved.
In his remarks, Trump also praised Pakistanās leadership, including Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, calling them āvery extraordinary menā.
(IANS)




