National

PM Modi Announces Rs 2 Lakh Ex-Gratia For Kin Of Those Killed In Lakhisarai, Birbhum Incidents

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday announced an ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) for the next of kin of each person who died in the unfortunate incidents in Bihar’s Lakhisarai and West Bengal’s Birbhum.

Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) took to social media ‘X’ and said, “PM Narendra Modi has announced an ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh from PMNRF to be given to the next of kin of each deceased in the unfortunate incident in Lakhisarai, Bihar. The injured would be given Rs. 50,000.”

Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi also expressed grief over the loss of lives in a stampede at the Ashok Dham temple in Lakhisarai, which claimed seven lives.

The PMO said on social media ‘X’, “Pained by the loss of lives due to a stampede in Lakhisarai, Bihar. My thoughts are with the bereaved families in this hour of grief. May the injured recover at the earliest. The local administration is assisting those affected: PM Narendra Modi.”

At least seven people were killed, and a dozen were injured in a stampede. The incident triggered chaos at the temple premises as a large number of devotees had gathered to offer prayers and perform rituals on the third Monday of the holy month of Sawan.

PMO also announced Rs 2 lakh to the next of kin of each deceased in Birbhum, West Bengal.

“In the wake of the mishap in Birbhum, West Bengal, PM Narendra Modi has announced Rs. 2 lakh from PMNRF for the next of kin of each deceased and Rs. 50,000 for those injured,” the PMO added.

Meanwhile, the death toll in the hotel fire at Tarapith in West Bengal’s Birbhum district on Monday rose to seven, confirmed the police, adding that the owner of the building has been arrested.

Birbhum District Police Superintendent Vidit Raj Bundesh confirmed that the toll has risen and that Kalyan Paul, the owner of the hotel named ‘Bideshini’, has been arrested.

The police are investigating whether the hotel’s firefighting system was in proper condition and whether all the fire safety-related rules were followed.

Many residents of the hotel have complained that an exit door at the back side of the hotel was closed, and hence they were unable to get out, which is in contradiction to what Paul had claimed earlier this morning.

Paul claimed that because of extreme panic, many of the residents could not trace the exit door at the back side of the hotel and hence they tried to rush out through the reception, and that is when many got burnt.

The Investigating Officer is also probing these claims by the residents and counterclaims by Paul.

The fire broke out at the hotel adjacent to Tarapith Police Station at around 5 a.m. on Monday. The initial estimate of the fire department is that the fire was caused by a short circuit. Smoke rose to the fifth floor. Fortunately, the fire was restricted to the first floor and partially to the second floor, which limited the number of casualties.

(IANS)

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button